Four wheel drives require a whole lot of gadgets. You may want to take the fridge along so you can chug on a cool drink every now or then. Also if you are working online, you would even take along your tablet, laptop and not to forget your phone charger. None the less all these things require a great deal of power. This is where dual battery kits come in:
However those who assume that they can handle all these gadgets on a single battery need to think again. If you want to make sure that you use all these along with driving your vehicle back home, you would need more than one battery.
While most people think they can easily bring in a second battery to handle the above mentioned issue, it is easier said than done. With no proper working system, the second battery won’t be much use. Dual battery systems ensure that both batteries can be used when required. It not only isolates the second battery but also helps make sure that you always have back up when the need arises.
Things to look out for in a dual battery system
Before you actually deign your dual battery system, make sure to keep the following things in mind:
- Get to know what options you have? Your vehicle should be able to run the kind of battery system you have in mind. However the latest models only allow for DC to DC charger. This doesn’t allow you many options but you have to make do with what you have.
- Do you have any extra options like plugging in your vehicle when you are at home or solar power charging? There are many options out there which can be utilized to make the most of your dual battery system. Make sure you weigh all these options before making a final decision.
- Do consider the mounting option and power usage. A battery is rated by Amps. Get to know exactly the amount of Amps your vehicle would require and get a battery accordingly.
- The major mistake which most four wheel drive owners make is to forget about the battery system once it’s been installed. Care must be taken that the battery is not exposed to any sort of unnecessary vibrations. It should also not be exposed to extreme temperatures which are either too hot or too cold. This can hinder the battery performance and make the power go down thus making it difficult to charge again.
- Do make sure that you carry out proper maintenance checks. Be on the look out for any ingrained dirt, cracks or leaks in the battery system.
By keeping all the above mentioned things in mind you would be able to invest in a dual battery kit that’s best for your four wheeler. Not everyone has the same requirements when it comes to a car battery, so make sure you have evaluated your needs before investing is the system which is best for your vehicle. Just make sure that you get the system installed by reliable battery providers.